www.flickr.com

January 5, 2006

Kristen hat!

This has been done for a couple of days, but I've been waiting for decent light to take pictures. That's not happening, so you get bathroom light. Woo hoo!

The Kristen hat is my first foray into Fair Isle knitting (that is, two colors in one row). It was easier than I thought it would be, but that might be because I wasn't taking it seriously (as evidenced by the gimpy snowflake below). This is why I like knitting for other people: if I mess up on something I know I'm keeping for myself, I'm less likely to go back and fix it. This isn't always true, but it's mostly true.

First up, the obligatory mirror pose:

I find it funny that in the LiveJournal Knitting community, people take so much time to complete their knitting projects and then they spend 30 seconds modelling it for the camera. This is the sort of thing that you see everyday, except 1. You can actually see the hat in this picture, and 2. Mine turned out a little less blurry than the ones in the community.


This is truer to color and shows off the gimpy snowflake quite nicely. I AM WEARING A BEAUTIFUL AND UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE.

And this shot just kind of says "hat". Or "peek-a-boo", if you look just under the brim. The brim, by the way, is dark green shiny cotton thread. It's sewn to the inside of the hat to keep the scratchy-ass wool off my face, but if I don't roll up the brim, the hat gets coneheady.

Also, the pattern notes for this hat showed it with these giant tassels, but I actually used up all the white yarn and had to find some of the yarn I've got around the house. The color was only slightly off, and can only be seen for about an inch and a half around the top. I spose I could make a giant pom pom to cover it.

Anyway, this is my Kristen hat post. I feel mighty accomplished, I do. Now I'm working on a pair of socks for ma, a pair of socks for me (real wool, toe-up, warm socks), and a small teddy bear. Pictures of those come later, because Dad just called and said he wants to take me out to dinner. Who's gonna turn that down?

Not I, my friends. Not I.